Lies, Liars and Corporate Fraud – Linden Lab
Today’s post is about the Office Hours held by Jack Linden today. First go read the full transcript of that meeting here.
I attended Jack Linden’s Office Hours today .. but as you see, I did not stay long. I’ve participated in the Corporate world long enough to recognize BS when it’s being ladled out. Today, Jack Linden was using a shovel and not a ladle.
[11:09:23] Jack Linden: Not meaning to be misleading Darrius, but as I said, I can’t discuss the finer details of how search ranks.
He also stated:
[11:07:53] Jack Linden: No search engine provider would talk about the details of how relevance is calculated
Google discusses it … in great detail. Pages and pages and pages of detail. One need only search to find all the documentation. But Jack is attempting to say “what we’re doing is standard practice.” That’s a lie. What he is actually saying is “we are purposely manipulating search for our own ends and we refuse to divulge our malfeasance.”
I have spent almost all of my SL time for the past few months studying, watching, analyzing and understanding the GSA and how it is implemented in Second Life. Every single change has been logical, predictable and calculable. Every single change until this latest one. With this latest change, the earmarks of purposeful manipulation are all over the results. Today I went to that meeting to find out if Jack Linden would express some reason for their intentional skewing of the results, but it was evident from his initial comments that his only intention was to continue to lie.
Until today, I was prepared to grant them the benefit of the doubt, to think they had a larger good motive in mind but just accidentally got it wrong. But after today I have seen the truth of their motives. Linden Lab is purposefully manipulating Search Results to grant favors of ranking to those residents they favor. With this latest change, it is clear they favor only those residents that can afford to rent Full Sims and dedicate them to a single purpose. In essence they are stating “buy a whole Sim or piss off.”
Their plan is to ensure that only the “Big Players” get to win. But in their short-sighted vision of how the market will react, they forget that the elimination of the small business will NOT increase sales by forcing people to “Sim Up” … instead it will kill off the medium and small merchants and the residents that purchase from them. They will kill off 90% of their market in order to favor the remaining 10%. Yeah, those 10% generate 50% of sales income, but once they eliminate the OTHER 50% … the 50% that comes from the small and medium merchants … they’ll still be bringing in HALF of what they are now.
I gave my word to Brodesky Linden last night that I would hold onto this information, but I’m going to break that promise … and for me that’s a VERY big deal. But this is important for everyone to know. Brodesky Linden is being fired tomorrow. NOT because of any responses on JIRA or anything to do with his performance. He is being FIRED because he has chosen to live in a state that will force Linden Lab to pay TAXES to the state. Yes, that’s right .. the ONLY person that has been in charge of every detail about the new Marketplace is BEING FIRED .. to save TAXES!
You’ve heard the bitching from LL … “Gosh we lost the only guy that knew XStreet”. Well they are PURPOSELY doing it AGAIN! And just to save a few dollars that they SHOULD PAY anyway.
Talk about underhanded and foolish ideas!!! Who will support the Marketplace now? Grant? Beast? Some as yet unhired and totally green new programmers? You think the bugs will get fixed? Guess again!!
Jack Linden put his foot in it big time today. He had a chance to be honest and express exactly what is going on with the changes, but instead he chose AGAIN to lie, spread BS and act as if “this is normal” for anyone to do. The only companies that routinely LIE to their customers and STEAL from them the way Linden Lab does .. are companies that have no morals and no ethics.
I CHALLENGE Jack Linden to post on ANY PUBLIC FORUM and SPEAK THE TRUTH! I can document 7 ways to Sunday how the Search behaves now, back it up with math, with statistics and with numbers till every decimal point is right-aligned. But I doubt Jack will respond, because to address anything I have said would be to lend it credence, and the LAST thing he wants is to let anyone see that he might be lying through his TEETH!