When Hearts Are Broken

December 30, 2017 by
Filed under: Internet Life and Humanity

Second Life™ is a world of amazing things. Amazing sights, imagination and creativity. But among the most important amazing things Second Life™ provides are the lives we encounter and the loves we find. Eight years ago, one such love began when Jessica Bonnin walked her avatar into the rental office of Jim Cornwell. At that very moment, Jim knew he had met the woman that would complete his life and become his wedded love. Sadly on December 27th, 2017 that love ended suddenly and unexpectedly.

Ocean Apart – Worlds Together

Jim and Jessica lived on separate continents. Jim in the USA, Jessica in the UK. But with the magic of Second Life™, they were able to spend nearly every day together as if the physical distance between them was no more than the distance from desk chair to keyboard. They lived in each other’s lives as much as they could, each and every day. Seldom was one seen without the other nearby. They were inseparable.

After many months of planning, Jim was able to arrange a one month visit to Jessica’s home. He arrived just before Christmas 2017. They had a whole month’s worth of time together planned. Life was wonderful, family was around and with them, they had everything to look forward to. They were even finalizing the last details in the quagmire of bureaucracy needed to move Jessica to the United States to live with Jim forever.

A Dream Dinner Out

One of Jessica’s desires was to spend an evening dining at the restaurant Dan le Noir. An eclectic establishment where diners are in pitch darkness. Their meal was wonderful, everything they had hoped it would be. But just after the last morsels were consumed, as they anticipated the arrival of the waiter to escort them to their ride, Jessica suddenly collapsed … and never rose again.

Paramedics worked desperately for an hour and a half as Jim stood by, breathless and unbelieving. Terrified, devastated, watching as his love and soul lay dying on the floor. Graciously the doctors said that she passed without pain and without suffering. But death, sudden and unexpected as this, is never painless for those left behind.

The Lives She Loved

In addition to Jim, Jessica leaves behind three children ages 25, 22 and 18. Her coworkers and the company she worked for have graciously provided for her funeral services and will be contributing to the support of her children. Jim, along with his sister, will be returning to the USA at the end of their original visit near the end of January 2018.

I am one of the many 100’s of lives that Jessica touched in Second Life™. If you knew Jessica, if you know Jim, please feel free to add your recollection and comments to this post. Jim will be reading your words and I am sure every word will be of comfort to him.

Visit the DGP4SL Store on SL Marketplace

Comments

8 Comments on When Hearts Are Broken

1. Mysti on Sat, 30th Dec 2017 7:53 AM
  2. I haven´t had the pleasure to meet Jessica or Jim but I don´t want to leave here without a few words as the blog post Darrius left here and the story and love you two shared truly touched me.

“When someone you loved becomes a memory,
    the memory becomes a treasure…”

Deep and heartfelt sympathy for you, Jim and your family and friends.

3. Jim on Sat, 30th Dec 2017 8:30 AM
  4. Thanks, Mysti. This was actually my 8th trip to the UK and we had always had a lot that we were doing. This trip was especially special because of the dinner Jess dreamed of sharing with me, and a week on the coat alone which we were not able to do. This trip we only had 4 short days together, the last of which she had to work and our final moments were in the dark where I could not see her face but only caress it and her hands. But she was very happy. Had the dinner been later in the trip we would not have had that special time she dreamed of.

5. Maxla Brown on Sat, 30th Dec 2017 4:29 PM
  6. When I met Jim and Jess it was in second life. From the 1st meeting, jess and I were sisters, and you Jim had to put up with me…smiles. Jess was always giving and she loved to help everyone. When you saw Jess and Jim together you would have an automatic smile on your face. Jim, I am so very sorry this had to happen. Please know you are in my prayers. I will greatly miss her and her mischievous ways. Love you, Jess, Rest In Peace.

7. Nabrej Aabye on Sat, 30th Dec 2017 4:39 PM
  8. I have no words to express the pain of seeing one of the most beautiful people I would have known in SL. Jess was always attentive with everyone. She often encouraged me and we spent a lot of time building on SL. We had wonderful moments with Jim when I discovered other qualities in them. Song and music. Jess and Jim always in a wonderful love, were in total symbiosis in the song and I had the privilege of spending evenings with them on SL worthy of the most extraordinary concerts that exist in the real world. I have the privilege of having a wonderful sister and brother. Jess left for a better world, happy, with this incredible miracle, to be at that very moment with the man of her life, the man she loved above all and who loved her above all. Jess touched us all in one way or another, she certainly helped us to be better. She will stay in our hearts forever. Rest in peace, Jess. My condolences to Jim, the children of Jess and your families and loved ones.

9. Jim on Sat, 30th Dec 2017 5:33 PM
  10. Thanks Tina, Nab.
    Any of my words are so inadequate to express the grief and lose I feel. But not only myself but all those who loved Jess from my immediate family, her kids, and my cousins who were over in May on their way to Germany and she meet them at the airport in the UK on their layover. She made them feel most welcome. She was the most gracious host I ever meet. I loved everything about her.

11. Stacy (Keara Flatley) on Sun, 31st Dec 2017 1:40 PM
  12. Jessica and Jim where the best people I ever had the pleasure of being not only SL friends with but they were my sl family! There love story was amazing, I remember when they first met Jim was so so excited he LOVED her so much and she loved him so much,, they were the perfect couple and my heart is breaking for you my DEAR friend Jim! Jess had the biggest heart and WILL never be forgotten! My thoughts and prayers are with her whole family! Big hugs to Jim im so sorry for your loss this world lost such a kind beautiful soul and I will never forget her and how she was always there to give the best advice help me cause I was such a newbie lol but best of all she was an amazing friend and im blessed to have known her, Im still very shocked RIP Jess you beautiful soul ! And Jim im ALWAYS here if you need to talk, vent or just scream! I love you both.

13. Lydia Eddinham on Sun, 31st Dec 2017 2:19 PM
  14. Jim and Jessica embody the magic that is SL — real people feeling real emotions and finding real love. Jim and Jessica found that rarest of all commodities — rarer than precious metals and gems. They each found that person that completed them. May time help to ease your pain, Jim, and turn it into beautiful memories.

15. Tina on Wed, 3rd Jan 2018 2:54 PM
  16. I met Jess in sl and I just loved her from the moment I met her. She became my rl friend and the sister I never had so quick. I treasure those moments I had with her. She was my confidant and my sould sister and it’s so difficult not being able to speak to her every day. She is the kindest most caring and genenerous lady I met. My sl and my rl will never be the same without her in it. She made me smile every day her laughter was so conatgeous. I love her so much and always will. Thank you Jim to you also for all the beautiful memeories I have with you and Jess they will stay with me forever.I hope time will heal but I will miss her always. I love you Jessica and I think about you every day. My thoughts and prayers to you Jim and her children and loved ones. May you rest in peace Jess love you always angel.